Voucherify Complete User Guide
List of contents:
Introduction to Voucherify
Voucherify is an all-in-one platform that helps companies launch customized coupons, referral, discount, loyalty and giveaway campaigns like e-commerce giants do, but at a fraction of the cost.
Voucherify account gives you access to API and Dashboard. It means that both marketing teams and developers (via API) can create and manage Voucherify promotions. In this guide, we are going to focus on the Dashboard and mention a few crucial functions of API.
For more information on API, go to the Developers Centre.
Watch our Product Demo to learn more about core Voucherify functionalities that are intended to help your business deliver personalized promotions at the fraction of time and cost:
Before learning more details below, you can also watch our short video tutorial on how to launch your first campaign with Voucherify.
If you connect (integrate) Voucherify account with your website/store/app, your customers will be able to use promotions created in Voucherify. After the integration, Voucherify validates each promotion used by your customers. Our promotion engine supports highly-customized promotion rules and successfully eliminates coupon fraud.
Visit the Integrations Catalog to see all possible integrations.
To integrate your system with Voucherify, you need to:
- Create a Voucherify account – every new account starts with a free 30-day trial with access to all core features. You won't be automatically charged after trial expires.
- Log in and take your API keys.
- If your store is built on Magento, BigCommerce, or WooCommerce you can get our plugin and integrate both accounts with API keys with just a few clicks. Otherwise, you need to build a custom integration between the Voucherify account and your store, website, or app. Custom integration requires software development, but you may rest easy as Voucherify was built with developer-friendliness in mind to make integration smooth and simple. Developers can find all the needed details here.
Integration is critical to enable your customers to use coupons, referral codes, and loyalty points, but it's not required for using the Voucherify dashboard and create campaigns up-front. It means that before you or your developers integrate with Voucherify, you can use the Dashboard to create some promo campaigns, import your customers, add products, or send test messages with created codes.
In this guide, we're going to show you how to make the most of Voucherify step-by-step and run tailored promo campaigns on the scale.
Go here to learn about some of the most popular built-in integrations💡
Setting up account and project details
Properties such as currency, time zone, team structure, email domain, webhooks, metadata, and event schema are set per project. It means that if you need to support more than one currency or different promotions for different stores/websites, you need more than one Voucherify project (each project has individual, unique API keys).
A number of projects that you can create within your account is limited by the selected plan according to our pricing.
Team structure defines who belongs to a particular project and what kind of data each team member has access to. There is always one Admin (owner of the account) who can assign roles to team members and restrict their rights.
You can read more about team structure and data access here.
This guide will assist you in setting up your account and project details.
Preparing Voucherify for promotional campaigns – personalization
The aim of this section is to familiarize you with the Voucherify dashboard and teach you how to launch highly-targeted promotions. All the features we're going to cover are optional but recommended as they enable you to build a truly personalized promotional experience. The customization comes down to:
- Adding/syncing customers.
- Adding a catalog with your products/services.
- Customizing Voucherify objects (vouchers, customers, etc.) with metadata.
The point of adding customers to Voucherify is segmentation and targeting. Your audience can be divided into segments based on customers' behavior, interactions with the brand, order history, or geographical attributes. These segments can be used later to create promotion rules. But before we explore segments, you need to put customers into Voucherify. Here's how to do it:
- Import CSV file – you can do it straight from the dashboard. Read the detailed guide here.
- Sync Voucherify with your CRM – this is recommended as syncing provides your segments with real-time data. If you use Salesforce as a CRM platform, you can connect both apps using built-in integration described here. If you use a different CRM provider, your developers can plug it into Voucherify as a part of the integration process.
- Syncing with API create.customer method invoked every time you get a new customer – Voucherify API provides a great number of features in the Dashboard. You can read more about how to manage customers programmatically here.
- Static segment – never updates its customer list after it's been created. While creating a static segment, you need to manually mark customers whom you want to include, and adding new customers in the future won't be possible.
- Auto-update segment – built with dynamic filters and collects customers who meet its criteria in real-time. It means that a dynamic segment with a rule "customers who made at least 5 orders" will get a new customer every time someone makes the 5th order.
How to create segments?
This step is also optional but needed if you want to run product-specific promotions (e.g. 5% off for an iPhone X 64GB grey). You can add your products and their features in the Dashboard or via the AP. If you'd like to modify single items, you can do it in the Products section on the Dashboard.
Working with products
Follow this guide to learn more about adding products to the dashboard.
Then, you can customize them with SKUs or custom attributes attached automatically to every new product set in metadata schema.
Read this tutorial to learn more.
Customize Voucherify objects with metadata
Metadata enables you to add custom data to Voucherify, which you can later use for building validation rules and reporting/tracking. Every Voucherify object type such as:
can have custom attributes that are not built in Voucherify by default and which you need to personalize promo campaigns. For example, you can add custom attributes to your customers (like "group: VIP", "source: adwords", etc.), and segment them accordingly.
Moreover, metadata added to redemption object enables you to create limits for redemptions which are not possible with built-in validation rules. For example, taxi companies very often offer promo codes for rides booked at particular hours, redemption metadata enables them to create redemption rules based on the time when the ride happens (redemption) and the time when it was booked (custom metadata attribute). You can see this use case workflow in our short video below.
There are plenty of use cases for metadata and each of them is unique. They offer you extreme flexibility and freedom in creating rules and limits for promotions and segmentation of your customers. You can see some videos with metadata use cases here.
Setting up promotions
Before we get to Campaign Manager and create your first promotion, you need to learn Voucherify Rules Builder. It creates validation rules – limits and purchase conditions that need to be met to redeem a code/use promotion.
Click on the Plus in a Validation Rules section to open Rules Builder.
You can create rules based on:
- customer segments
- order structure
- order volume
- promotion budget
- and other advanced attributes.
Plus, metadata attributes that you've learned about in the previous section can also be used to create rules. If you add metadata to products or redemptions, you can build unique rules which are not supported in Voucherify by default.
Campaign Manager and types of promotions in Voucherify
With Campaign Manager, you can create coupons, gift cards, auto-applied discounts, loyalty, and referral programs. Each batch of codes/gift cards, loyalty programs, or referral codes you'll create constitutes a separate campaign.
Before you fire off your first campaign or promotion, familiarize yourself with the Campaign Manager by following this short guide
- Launch bulk codes campaign with unique one-off promo codes or standalone code campaign.
- Issue digital gift cards either in bulk or standalone variation.
- Referral campaign creates complete referral programs including referral codes, rewards for referrers, and notifications about rewards.
- Promotion is a discount without a code. It's auto-applied by the Voucherify engine when a customer meets promotion conditions. For instance, if the current cart's total amount exceeds $200, apply 5% off, or, if a customer comes from a Facebook ad, offer $15 off for any Apple product.
- Loyalty campaigns allow you to build steady customer loyalty by motivating your customers with points and rewards.
Publication and distribution
What is a publication?
Publication means assigning a code to a particular customer. Typically, the publication is made by distributing code to your customer using Voucherify distribution. As soon as the code is delivered to a customer (published), it is visible in his/her profile in Voucherify.
The publication is not required to make a redemption by a customer. However, it's useful to track which customers were assigned promo codes and when.
What is the distribution?
Distribution defines the process of delivering a code/promotion to a customer. It comes down to choosing a delivery channel, designing a message template, and defining a trigger to send a notification.
In the Distributions section, you can open a Manager that sends messages to your customers straight from the Dashboard.
Each message can be equipped with a unique code from your campaigns (text code, QR, or barcode). Distribution Manager enables you to design a message template and:
- send it via emails without any external provider or
- send it using integrated provider/providers:
Moreover, each Voucherify distribution can deliver the message via many channels at the same time. You can create multi-channel workflows of two types:
- Manual – choosing this type means that a message is sent to chosen customer/customers right after you confirm the distribution, it's a one-time action;
- Automatic mode – activates the following scenario: every time a customer joins a chosen segment, the Manager triggers a message to be sent out. In the automatic mode, messages are sent every time a new customer meets specific criteria defined in the Distribution Manager by using customer segments. This is a dynamic workflow that responds to a predefined activity of your customers.
Distribution Manager is not the only way to publish codes from Voucherify to your customers. You can also use the following methods:
- Manual publish in a detailed voucher view in the dashboard.
- Publish via web widget on your landing page.
- Publish through API by using a create-publication method.
Codes delivered - it's time to use them
Redemption is a single usage of any code. A number of invoked redemptions you can handle per month is defined by your pricing plan.
To enable your customers to redeem codes, your website/app/store needs to be connected to your Voucherify account. This integration guarantees that the app will recognize promo codes used by your customers so that they can be validated and redeemed.
Here are the possible ways of redeeming codes after syncing with Voucherify:
- Redemptions with API integration (highly recommended).
- Redemptions with an embedded widget.
- Redemptions with Magento and WooCommerce plugins.
- Redemption with BigCommerce plugin.
- Offline redemptions with a free Voucherify mobile app (scanning QR code).
As mentioned before, you can assign custom attributes to redemption object. It means that you can create redemption rules and limits based on properties unique for your use case which may not be supported in Voucherify by default.
The exemplary workflow can be as follows:
Let's assume that there is a campaign with 25% discount codes that your customers got on their mailbox. The point of the campaign is to allow a customer for code redemption only in three particular days of the month as you want to gain more traffic in-store due to the release of a new product/collection.
This particular workflow comes down to adding event_dates as obligatory metadata attribute to redemption request within three dates that allow customers to use codes. Only these redemptions which include dates defined in metadata event_dates will be allowed. If a customer tries to redeem their code another day, it will fail.
Tracking and maintenance
- Dashboard reports - after logging in you can see the main view with your promotion performance overview. The dashboard shows recent redemptions, total gift balance, and many more.
- Customer individual profiles - each customer in Voucherify has their individual profile. You can find there a detailed history of customer activity and all promo codes assigned or redeemed by the customer.
- Redemption overview - every redemption both failed and successful is noted in the system. You can see who and when tried to redeem a code, and in case of a failed redemption, you can also see a reason for failure.
- Audit logs - Voucherify logs every successful or failed request made using your API keys. Each resource contains detailed information about the original request, including request (and response) body. You can find them in the
LOGSsections in the detailed redemption/customer view.
- Campaign stats - the Campaigns section in the dashboard shows you an overview of the current campaigns' performance. Moreover, each campaign has its own detailed view with real-time metrics and stats presenting its current performance.
- Export of your data - if you need to make your reports using external tools, you can plug them into Voucherify or export data from the dashboard. The export tool enables you to download vouchers, redemptions, campaigns, and customers with their detailed data.
Help and Support
Our team is always ready to support you. If you have any questions or need more information about Voucherify capabilities, please reach out to us
- Contact support if you need any help during your journey with Voucherify.
- Contact sales to book a free demo and discuss your expectations.
- Visit docs for developers.
Start a free 30-day trial (no credit card required)
You can enjoy our support all along the way!