How to group my customers with customer segments
In this section:
- How to create a segment
Splitting customers into segments enables you to target specific customer groups with your coupons and promotions. Your campaigns become more personalised and as a result, you can engage your consumers more effectively.
Before you start
To create segments you need to add your customers to Voucherify. Customers can be imported with CSV in the dashboard or synced with your CRM using the API. If you use Salesforce, you can connect your CRM using built-in integration.
Create a customer segment
To manage your customers in Voucherify (add/edit a customer, import and export data or create segments), open a Customers section in the dashboard
As you can see, creating a segment is always a three-step process.
The first section tells Voucherify the segment name and type. There are 2 segment types to choose from:
- a static segment that never updates its customer list after it's made. While creating a static segment, you can manually group customers into a segment and the future adding new customers won't be possible. The static segment doesn't change after it was created.
- in the contrary, auto update segment is built with filters from step 2 and gathers customers who meet its criteria up-to-date, not only at the moment of creating the segment. It means that a dynamic segment with a rule "customers who made at least 5 orders" will get a new customer every time someone makes 5th order. Auto update segments are dynamic and change along with your audience activity. This option is set by default.
If you want to choose a static segment, read on. If you chose an auto-update segment, go to the 2nd section to set segment criteria.
If you want to create a static segment, add a segment name and go straight to the customers' list. Mark the checkboxes next to the customers who you want to group into the segment.
In the next step, go back to the 1st section and choose a static segment.
Confirm new segment with SAVE.
That's it! Now, you know how to group customers into segments manually. Read on, to learn how to build auto update segments with filters.
The 2nd step tells Voucherify what criteria customers need to match to enter the segment.
Segment rules are built with filters which allow you to group customers by:
Name Events and custom attributes: Metadata, Events
Phone Total count of customer orders
Total amount of customer orders
Created date The last order total amount
Postal code The last purchased order City Referred customers
System attributes: Source ID, Source metadata, Source
Gift cards (balance)
Each filter gives you a list of operators which you can use to create specific criteria:
- is not
- has any value
- starts with
- ends with
- is unknown
- is less than
- is more than
For example, you can build rules as follows:
- The last purchased order more than 30 days ago
- Total amount of customer orders less than $500
- Email ends with .uk and source is MailChimp
- Country is Poland and the total amount of customer orders is more than $100
- Gender is not female
- Order contains MacBookAir
- Creation date starts with 01.02
You can also mix filters and create a segment with many rules and limits at the same time. Adding a new segment rules always goes the same way and starts from defining filters, each confirmed with the plus.
Additionally, you can choose whether a customer has to match all filters (Match all) or just any of them (Match any).
In the 3rd step, choose 'Reload' to see the list of customers who already qualify into the segment.
Lastly, confirm the segment with SAVE.