This guide assumes you are already familiarized with the Distribution Manager basics.
Our built-in integration with MailChimp enables you to create MailChimp Automations with Voucherify promo codes. Read on to learn how to integrate your accounts, sync MailChimp audiences, and send Voucherify codes in MailChimp emails.
- Sync Audiences
- Send Codes to User Profiles in MailChimp
- Set up MailChimp Automation with Promo Codes
- Manage Merge Tags with Promo Codes
Step 1: Integrate Voucherify with MailChimp account
To connect your MailChimp account to Voucherify, follow these steps:
1. Click your profile name, and choose Integrations.
2. Find MailChimp integration and hit Connect.
3. Log in to your MailChimp account to authorize the integration.
Step 2: Sync MailChimp Audiences
Once your MailChimp account is connected, sync MailChimp audiences and customers' attributes with Voucherify.
Go to Settings to see the details of the integration.
Click Sync Audience to sync your MailChimp contacts.
Select an audience to sync with (1). You can also add custom attributes to customer profiles from the list as metadata (2). They will be visible in each customer profile in Voucherify (it's optional). Confirm syncing with Add Audience (3).
As a result, your audiences are synced, and you can now send Voucherify codes to added customer profiles in MailChimp.
Please note that syncing customers starts at the moment you connect both accounts. That means only new customers, added to the audiences after you enable syncing, will be automatically added and visible in the Voucherify dashboard.
As a result, if you set email automation in Voucherify, it will only occur for newly added customers.
Step 3: Attach Voucherify codes to contact's profiles in MailChimp
Straight from Voucherify, codes can be sent out to customer’s profiles in MailChimp and attached as merge tags to your emails.
To deliver codes to customer profiles, you will need to:
- Create a customer segment for customers from a particular MailChimp audience.
- Create unique codes in the Voucherify dashboard.
- Schedule segment-based distribution of unique codes in the Voucherify dashboard.
Let's go through each of the steps.
Build a customer segment for the MailChimp audience
Voucherify enables you to divide your customers into segments. When your MailChimp account is synced, you can add a customer segment in Voucherify that represents a synced MailChimp audience.
To build a new segment, go to the Customers tab (1), and provide the segment name (2).
Use the auto-update (dynamic) segment – new users will be added to the segment as they meet the segment criteria.
Add segment criteria as in the picture below
1. Select segment criteria: Source metadata.
2. Property MailChimp List will be set by default, add a condition is.
3. Choose the name of the MailChimp audience from the list.
Confirm the segment criteria with Add (1) and Reload (2). Then, save the segment (3).
Keep in mind that before you reload and save the segment, you can introduce additional filters to create fine-grained segments.
When the segment is ready, you can create unique codes that you will share with your audience.
Create unique codes
Create unique codes that you will use in the MailChimp email campaign (codes will be attached to customer profiles as merge tags). You can create unique discount coupons, gift cards, referral codes, or loyalty cards and forward them to your MailChimp account.
Please follow the respective tutorial to learn more about generating unique codes:
Using validation rules, you can limit code redemptions to the chosen MailChimp audience represented by the Voucherify customer segment. As a result, only customers from a particular audience (segment) will make a successful redemption. Read more about validation rules.
When codes are ready, you will need to create segment-based distribution in Voucherify that sends unique codes to every new customer in the chosen audience.
Schedule segment-based distribution
First, open the Distribution view and run the Manager with the plus (+).
In the creator, go through the following steps:
1. Choose the automation trigger – Customer entered the segment.
2. Name your distribution (1) and define its purpose (2). Then, select the previously-created campaign that you would like to use (3).
3. Proceed to choose your audience, which is the customer segment defined in the previous step. When it's ready, click Next step.
4. You will be asked to choose proper Marketing Permissions or disable consent verification if customers already agreed to be contacted by you. When ready, click Next step.
5. Choose MailChimp as a distribution channel (1) and add a list of your receivers (a synced MailChimp audience) (2).
6. Then add the name of the merge tag, a
To assign codes properly, you need to add the merge tag that identifies your code to the list of merge tags in the MailChimp audience (before you save and start distribution in Voucherify). Go to the Adding merge tags for more details. When ready, put the added merge tag name into the Code presenting published voucher field.
You can also map optional merge tags with QR code, barcode, and code attributes (value, publication date). QR and barcodes, need to be mapped to image merge tags.
When the mapping is ready, go to the Next step and confirm the distribution with Save & Send.
From the moment you confirm the distribution, it starts. When a customer enters the synced MailChimp list, Voucherify automatically assigns a code from the chosen campaign to the merge tag in his/her profile.
Now, you can use assigned codes in your MailChimp campaigns. For example, you can create a campaign with email automation and send a message with Voucherify codes automatically when a new customer joins the chosen MailChimp audience. Read on to see the detailed setup.
- To assign codes properly, you need to add the merge tag representing the code to the merge tags list in the MailChimp audience.
- Keep in mind that this process will only work for newly added accounts after syncing the MailChimp audience and setting the distribution live.
Step 4: Set up MailChimp automation
Assuming that your codes are already assigned using Voucheify distribution, we can start to set the automation workflow and deliver coupons in a nicely designed email, straight to the customers' mailboxes.
To begin, follow these steps:
- Create a new email campaign in MailChimp.
- Choose Automated mode and then, email trigger (Welcome new subscribers) to set a segment-based send out.
- In the next step, name your automation and choose your audience (receivers). Confirm with Begin.
4. Now, we get to the key point, settings of the automation workflow. First, switch to advanced settings.
5. In the advanced settings, you can set automation timing and add other conditions to be met to send an email. Let's add a segment with additional criteria.
Filters in segment provide that the message is sent automatically when the merge tag with the Voucherify distribution code appears in a customer's profile. MailChimp filters enable you to add this rule by a merge tag name combine with is not blank option.
6. Confirm with Save segment and then go through three stages of email creation:
- Setup (put the email subject, signature, etc.).
- Template (choose from saved templates or create a new one).
- Design (fit your template into a current subject and add merge tags with the code).
Once the template is ready, you can confirm the workflow and start sending emails.
In response, the moment code is assigned, a predefined email with the coupon is sent automatically to the customer’s inbox.
Manage merge tags with Voucherify codes
To successfully run Voucherify distribution and assign codes to MailChimp contacts, you need to add a merge tag representing a published (assigned code) to merge tags list in MailChimp audience. The name of the merge tag defined in the merge tags list in MailChimp needs to be the same as the name of the merge tag defined in the Voucherify distribution.
You can also add a merge tag for QR code and barcode by using the following syntax:
- The name of the merge tag represents the code's text format (required merge tag): newsletter_code (merge tag type: text).
- The merge tag with QR code: newsletter_code_qr (merge tag type: image).
- The barcode: newsletter_code_barcode (merge tag type: image).
If you don't add the merge tags for QR code and barcode, only text code format gets to the customer profile.