Gift Cards Campaign
Gift cards can serve as digital wallets that store customers' credits. In this article, you will learn how to create and manage gift card campaigns in Voucherify.
- Create a gift card campaign.
- Send gift cards to customers.
- Manage gifts balance.
- Gift card tracking.
Here are the key definitions you need to grasp to understand how gift cards work.
Gift card code
Voucherify generates only digital gift cards represented by unique codes. Each gift card in the Voucherify project is unique.
This option is set per project, and it's enabled by default. It means that Voucherify differentiates between capital and lower-case letters in your codes.
Code formats & patterns
Voucherify creates a standard text code, barcode, and QR code for each code. When creating a gift card code (standalone or bulk codes campaign), you can use advanced code settings to define the code pattern (length, postfix, prefix, and so on).
Gift card balance
Each gift card code has a predefined monetary balance loaded o the card. Balance defines free credits assigned to a gift card code.
The discount effect defines how the gift card is applied to the customer's cart. You can choose between applying a gift card to the whole cart or to specific items.
Create a gift card campaign
You can release gift cards in two variations:
- Public gift card – standalone code shared between customers. Not recommended for gift cards.
- Unique gift card – a single code that can be assigned to individual customers.
To create a campaign, open the Campaign Manager by clicking plus in the Campaigns section.
Select gift vouchers as the campaign type.
In the Campaign Manager, go through the following steps:
Step 1: Program size
First, decide whether you want to create a standalone gift card or a campaign of unique gift card codes.
Standalone gift card
If you select a standalone code, you need to define a gift card code or create a random one with the arrow. Next, set the redemption limit.
Bulk gift cards
If you select bulk codes, you need to provide a campaign name, code count, and redemption limit per unique gift card. The Manager will create a batch of unique gift card codes grouped in a campaign.
Define the remaining settings:
- You can add an optional description and category of the campaign.
- Code redemption limit defines the redemption limit per single unique code/standalone code.
- If you create a bulk code campaign, the code count defines the initial batch of codes that you'd like to generate.
If you don't know how many codes you're going to need, activate the auto-update mode. As a result, Voucherify will generate new codes automatically when the initial batch of codes runs out.
- Advanced code settings enable you to define the code pattern (optional).
- Decide if a customer can join only once – when the same customer requests another gift card code, Voucherify will not generate a new code for this end-user. Therefore, one customer can only receive one gift card assigned (published) from a particular campaign.
Step 2: Campaign timeframe
Define the optional time limits of your campaign:
- Start and expiry dates.
- Code validity timeframe (recurring time periods when codes are active).
- The timer on voucher validity after publication (code is active X time after its delivery to the end-customer).
- Codes valid only on particular days of the week.
Step 3: Gift credits value
Provide the gift card value (prepaid balance loaded on each gift card):
The currency is set per project. If you'd like to change your currency, go to Project Settings, set new currency, and log in to your account again. Each project supports only one currency. Our API is currency-agnostic, and currency settings don't impact the way Voucherify calculates amounts and discounts.
Next, you can establish validation rules that are going to model your desired redemption conditions. Create new validation rules or choose from the existing set of rules.
When creating new rules, you can define if the gift card is applied to the whole order or if it's applied to specific items only.
If you chose apply discount to items effect, you need to define the criteria for discounted items. You can also exclude particular products from the campaign.
Below discounted and excluded products, you can see validation rules that model required redemption conditions. You can add product- or order-specific limits or decide that only customers from the selected customer segment can redeem the gift card.
If you can't find the needed rules, switch to the Advanced Rules Builder with the list of all available validation rules.
The details of building the validation rules are described in this guide.
Gift card anti-fraud limits
You can assign each unique gift card to a particular customer. By using campaign limits and validation rules, the publication can secure gift cards from misuse and provide only gift card owners can redeem them. Read more about publication-related rules.
Step 4: Metadata
Attach (optional) custom attributes to your gift cards and campaign by using metadata. Read more about metadata.
Send gift cards to customers
The Distribution Manager allows you to send gift cards in personalized messages via many diversified channels. You can schedule workflows that trigger messages in response to prefined customer activities like birthdays, new orders, gift card redemptions, and many more.
The Manager enables you to design message templates and send emails without any additional provider. Next to emails, you can connect external applications to the Manager or use webhooks as a distribution channel. Read more about distributions in this guide.
Manage gift card balance
Each time a gift card is redeemed, Voucherify automatically updates its balance. You can monitor the current balance in the gift card details and load new credits anytime using the dashboard or API.
- Add gift card balance in the dashboard:
Go to the detailed view of a gift card and add the proper amount to the current balance.
- Add gift card balance with API:
Using the Add Gift Voucher Balance API, you can quickly add the proper amount to the gift card. The amount should be based on the total order amount. All you need to do is to include the amount and gift card code in the API call.
Tracking and reports
Voucherify tracks your gift cards on many levels and presents stored data in the dashboard. Here's the list of all internal reports and functionalities that provide detailed information about your gift cards performance:
- In the main project view, you can see a chart presenting overall gift vouchers spendings.
- In the Campaigns view, you can see a list of your campaigns. When it comes to a gift card campaign, you can see the already redeemed amount and the amount left on the cards.
- When you click on the campaign name, you'll see a redemption summary, recent campaign changes, and budget management. From this view, you can also export campaign data to a CSV file and analyze results in external tools.
Please note that Voucherify only offers digital gift cards that act as gift card codes. If you'd like to create a physical gift card, follow this short guide.