Getting Started with Loyalty Programs
Loyalty programs let customers store points on the digital cards earned by meeting program rules. Besides managing loyalty cards and program rules, Voucherify provides a rewards catalog and omnichannel notifications system to provide a fully gamified experience to your end-customers.
This article will guide you through key concepts and definitions of loyalty campaigns in Voucherify.
- Loyalty Workflow
- Earning Rules
- Tracking Results
- Useful Resources
Here are the key definitions you need to grasp to understand how loyalty campaigns work.
A digital card with a unique code that works as a digital wallet for customer's points.
Earning rule defines an action(s) that result in assigning a particular number of loyalty points to a customer's loyalty card. There is no limit on the number of earning rules in a single loyalty campaign.
Tiers are different levels of membership in your loyalty program. Tier is defined by a minimum and maximum amount of points on a customer's loyalty card. You can map different rewards and earning rules to each tier.
A digital or material incentive that your customer can get in exchange for their loyalty points.
A message sent from Voucherify to end-customer or 3rd party app via which you can send loyalty cards, inform about collected points or redeemed rewards.
An individual customer space presenting the number of loyalty points, rewards, assigned referral codes, and owned incentives like discounts or gift cards. You can copy and share links to fully-branded cockpits and enable your customers to exchange loyalty points for rewards independently.
The action of exchanging points for a chosen reward. Reward redemption results in redeeming points and updating the balance on a loyalty card.
Loyalty card publication
The action of assigning a unique card to a particular customer. Loyalty cards need to be published before customers start collecting points.
Optional campaign mode ensuring that when a customer meets at least one earning rule, he/she will automatically get a loyalty card published (assigned) to his/her profile with an updated points balance.
Optional campaign mode ensuring that each customer can own only one loyalty card from the campaign.
Optional campaign mode ensuring the app will automatically generate new loyalty cards when the initial batch runs out.
Sign-up landing page
A landing page with a customizable subscribe form to share loyalty cards with your customers. Landing pages are automatically connected to your account and publish loyalty cards to each customer who successfully fills the form.
Voucherify supports you in every step of your loyalty program. First, it lets you build your program conditions, set up rewards, and automate notifications. Next, you should assign a specific loyalty card code to a particular customer. As customers perform specific reward actions, Voucherify continuously monitors their behavior and updates their loyalty score. Using customer cockpits, you can let customers track their score and redeem points for loyalty rewards on their own.
If you decide to use non-material rewards such as discounts, gift cards, or pay-with-points rewards, Voucherify will support you with validating and redeeming rewards in your store. Finally, Voucherify helps you understand what works and what doesn’t with real-time tracking of your loyalty campaigns and performance reports.
Let's take a closer look at the key concepts.
Earning rules define actions that customers must take to receive loyalty points and, as a result, loyalty rewards. You can create three types of earning rules in Voucherify based on customer segments, paid orders, and custom events that customers perform in your app/website. Moreover, you can extend each earning rule with additional constraints using validation rules.
Order has been paid
Points are added to the loyalty card when a new order changes its status to PAID. You can assign a fixed number of points or reward customers proportionally to the spent amount.
Using validation rules, you can attach additional requirements that customers need to meet to earn points. Rules can define cart structure and volume, customer attributes, or specify qualified customer segments. Go here to learn more about validation rules.
Earning rules examples:
- 1 point for each $0.01 spent if the total order amount is less than $50.
- 1 point for each $0.1 spent if the total order amount is more than $50.
- 2 points for each $1 spent if a customer is in the Premium Customers segment.
- 20 points if the order is paid and the payment method is Visa.
- 50 points if a customer had MacBook in their cart.
Custom events are actions taken by your customers that you track in your app or website and pass to Voucherify using our API. Using events in earning rules enables you to reward customers for custom activities of your choice, e.g., leaving a review, tagging your brand on social media, attending an event, and more.
First, define your events in the Event Schema in the Project Settings.
The Schema gathers definitions of all events that you can later pass to Voucherify and use in your loyalty campaigns.
The customer gets a fixed number of points every time he/she performs the required action (custom event gets to Voucherify). Validation rules enable you to limit the event-based earning rules to a specific customer segment.
Earning rules examples:
- 100 points if a customer subscribes to a newsletter.
- 50 points if a customer leaves a review.
- 200 points if a customer registers to a paying plan.
Validation rules define additional segments that a customer needs to belong to and segments excluded from getting the points.
Earning rules examples:
- 10 points if a customer enters the New Customer segment (criteria: Profile created less than 1 day ago).
- 250 points if a customer enters a segment Premium (criteria: Total order count more than 5 or spent more than $500).
- 50 points if a customer enters the Active Mobile App Users segment (criteria: metadata attribute mobile_app is true and last purchase less than 30 days ago)
When you confirm the earning rule with Save, the list will show you all added earning rules and assigned numbers of loyalty points.
The rewards catalog collects all rewards that your customers can exchange points for. To define your catalog, prepare rewards beforehand in the Rewards dashboard section or add new rewards on the spot while creating a loyalty campaign.
Follow this guide to learn what rewards you can create using Voucherify. Remember to map each reward to the points value and confirm the reward with Save button. Added Rewards will be listed in the Rewards catalog.
When a customer collects enough points, the reward will be active in his/her cockpit. Exchanging points for reward invokes reward redemption and updating customer's loyalty points balance. You can track these changes in real-time by monitoring the campaign dashboard.
Voucherify automatically creates an individual customer cockpit for every customer synced/added to your account. Cockpits show all loyalty rewards and activate them according to the current customer's points balance.
The tiering functionality allows you to create different levels of membership in your loyalty program.
Besides points range, each tier has its own rewards and earning rules mapping. It means that the same earning rules and rewards can be assigned to a different points value:
- Earning rules mapping defines points multipliers that increase or decrease the number of earned points per rule;
- Rewards mapping defines multipliers that set new reward values for the tier members. It means that customers from different tiers may need more or fewer points to get the reward.
Voucherify supports many types of automatic notifications that communicate with your end-customers or 3rd party applications throughout the loyalty journey. While creating a loyalty campaign, you can set up the following communication workflows:
- Send loyalty cards – publication (assigning) a card to a customer triggers a message. First, publish loyalty cards using the dashboard or API (more in this guide). Then, schedule notifications with the loyalty card code variable. As a result, each owner of a loyalty card gets a message with their digital card.
- Notify about new points – new points on the loyalty card trigger a message. Voucherify tracks all changes in points balance and sends messages automatically.
- Notify about reward redemption and updated points balance – the message gets to the customer when he/she redeems their reward. Voucherify tracks all redemptions and sends messages automatically.
Each notifications type can send messages to the end-customers (SMS, emails) or 3rd party applications (webhooks and built-in integrations with MailChimp, Braze, ActiveCampaign, Intercom). Notifications scheduled while creating a loyalty program will be visible in the Distributions tab in the dashboard. Read more about setting up distributions in this guide.
Metadata extends your loyalty workflow with custom attributes. You can use metadata attributes on many levels:
- create validation rules with customer, order, or product metadata and assign them to your earning rules;
- Assign different metadata attributes to each tier.
Add new metadata fields for campaign attributes to improve tracking and reporting. Added attributes can be assigned to the program metadata only or inherited by all loyalty cards created within the loyalty campaign.
You can track the real-time performance of your loyalty program on many levels. Using the dashboard and API, you can monitor and analyze the campaign metrics and each participant's activity individually.
Loyalty Program Performance
Click on the loyalty program name to visit the campaign dashboard. You can see the following campaign metrics:
- Active distributions and sent messages (they can deliver rewards, inform about added points, send loyalty cards, and more).
- Top earning rules and top rewards.
- A sum of points gained by your customers sorted by date.
- Conversion rate chart that shows the total number of redeemed points sorted by date.
- Recent program changes and customer's actions.
Voucherify enables you to track end-customers activity in particular loyalty campaigns. Click on the customer's name to visit his/her profile and go to the Activity tab. Using filters, you can choose a particular loyalty campaign or list activities coming from all your loyalty programs. Moreover, you can filter out customer's activities performed within the given timeframe.
You can also use our API to filter all customer activities by date or a specific event. Visit our Developer Hub to learn more.