Connect your store with the Voucherify account and let your customers redeem Voucherify promo codes and gift cards in the storefront. BigCommerce integration enables you to sync your customers, orders, products, and their variants. All updates from your BigCommerce dashboard are sent to your Voucherify database in real-time.
- Voucherify APIs for BigCommerce
- Disconnect the plugin
- Install the plugin
- Data synchronization
- Validation rules
- Coupons and gift cards campaigns – examples
- Fraud protection
Before you start
- Please note that connecting Voucherify to your BigCommerce account will automatically disable BigCommerce gift certificates and coupons. Before installing integration scripts, make sure you've made needed migrations, and you're ready to use Voucherify coupons and gift cards only.
- The latest v3 plugin version was released on 23/08/2021 (Release note v20210806). It adds support for stacking gift cards and fixed price discounts. If you connected your store before that day, you need to re-install your integration to access new features. Read how to upgrade your integration.
APIs for BigCommerce
Integrations created before 2021-08-23 use the v2 version of Voucherify <> BigCommerce API. BigCommerce stores connected after that date will have the latest v3 version installed automatically.
To verify which plugin version is installed in your BigCommerce store, go to the BigCommerce dashboard > Storefront > Script Manager. In v2 API there will be two scripts from Voucherify integration. In v3 API, you'll see four Voucherify scripts.
Summary of versions v2 and v3
Here's the list of the features supported in both v2 and v3 plugin versions.
|v3 (available since 2021-08-23)|
How to upgrade to the latest (v3) BigCommerce plugin?
If you'd like to upgrade to the latest version of the Voucherify <> BigCommerce plugin, you need to reinstall your integration with BigCommerce. It comes down to disconnecting Voucherify and BigCommerce accounts and connecting them again.
Disconnect BigCommerce plugin
Log in to your Voucherify account and follow the steps below.
- Go to the Integrations tab and scroll down to the BigCommerce integration.
- Click on Settings and Uninstall scripts.
- Confirm with Update configuration.
- Click on Disconnect to disconnect Voucherify from your BigCommerce store.
Note that from this moment, Voucherify coupons and gift cards can't be validated or redeemed. To restore connection and install the latest version of the plugin, follow the steps below.
Install BigCommerce plugin
To connect both accounts, start with logging in to your BigCommerce account. Open Advanced Settings.
In the next step, you need to generate API keys for Voucherify integration. Go to API Accounts and choose to Create API Account > Create V2/V3 API Token.
Name your new API Account. The API account for Voucherify needs the following OAuth Scopes in your BigCommerce shop:
- Content (modify).
- Checkout Content (modify).
- Customers (read-only).
- Marketing (modify).
- Orders (read-only).
- Order Transactions (read-only).
- Products (read-only).
- Carts (modify).
- Checkouts (modify).
- Informations & Settings (read-only).
Choose Save to confirm. Your API account credentials will be automatically downloaded in the .txt file on your device.
Now, log in to your Voucherify account. Open the Integrations menu (1) and click Connect (2) in the BigCommerce integration.
Open the .txt file generated in the BigCommerce panel. Copy and paste your Client ID, API path, and the API keys.
By marking the respective checkboxes, you can optionally enable the following features:
- Make calculations based on retail prices (MSRP)
- Allow applying coupons with other promotions – by enabling this option, Voucherify's coupons will apply on top of BigCommerce's automatic promotions (both Voucherify coupons and BigCommerce promotions can be applied).
Lastly, you need to map the source ID (unique customer identifier in Voucherify) to the BigCommerce field. You can choose if the source ID in Voucherify will be mapped to BigCommerce customer ID or the customer's email.
Confirm with Connect to sync both accounts. The app will confirm if the installation is complete with the 'Connected' button next to the BigCommerce integration.
Now, install scripts to sync databases and enable your customers to validate and redeem Voucherify codes.
When needed, you'll be able to update and reset your scripts.
When your BigCommerce store is connected, data are synced in real-time. It means that every time you add or update a customer, order, product, or product variant to BigCommerce, it is automatically created in the connected Voucherify account.
The following guides will help you learn how to manage customers, products and orders in Voucherify:
Thanks to Voucherify metadata, you can also sync the BigCommerce customer groups and product categories. Then, you can use synced data to create campaign rules and limits.
Synchronization of customer groups
Customer groups from BigCommerce are mapped to Voucherify metadata properties. This is why to start, we need to add respective metadata fields in Voucherify customer profiles. Let's open the Projects Settings and then Metadata Schema.
First, we need to create a new nested property with fields: ID (number) and name (string). Nested metadata means that they will be combined and included in the single metadata object representing the BigCommerce group.
Now, find the Customers tab to add the metadata object with group attributes to customer profiles.
Then, assign created nested property to the new object: bigcommerce_customer_group.
Please note that to sync data properly, you need to use the same name for this object (bigcommerce_customer_group) in your Metadata Schema.
From now on, if you assign a customer to a customer group in BigCommerce, Voucherify will automatically update their profile (you can see it in the metadata section).
Now, you can use your customer groups to create validation rules (limits and rules of your promotions). Go here to learn more.
Synchronization of product categories
Product categories are automatically mapped to a predefined metadata field in Voucherify. If you add a new product with categories or update an existing one, the assigned categories will be visible in the product details.
In the metadata section, you can see a property called bigcommerce_product_categories which stores product category ID from the BigCommerce dashboard (if you select more categories for the product, then the Voucherify displays all values as a list).
You can find IDs of product categories by clicking on the category name in the BigCommerce dashboard.
When the product categories and customer groups are synced, we can use them to create validation rules described below.
Voucherify integration supports validation rules based on:
- Order structure and order volume.
- Budget constraints (like redemptions per customer, redemptions per campaign, and so on).
- Products categories.
- And customer groups.
If you're not familiar with our validation rules builder, please follow this guide first.
How to create rules based on customer groups?
If you want to limit the usage of codes to a particular BigCommerce customer group(s), you need to create validation rules based on metadata in the Audience category. Here, you can define which group of customers is eligible to redeem codes.
On the screen, you can see that we limit the redemptions only to customers who belong to the STAFF group in BigCommerce.
How to create rules based on product categories?
You can use your product categories to offer discounts and gift cards applicable to specific groups of products. To model this in practice you need to create a product collection in Voucherify and use this collection to build respective validation rule.
Remember that BigCommerce categories in Voucherify are represented by their IDs.
Step 1: Create products collection
Go to the Products section and click Find and apply filters.
Create a product collection based on a custom attribute (metadata) representing the BigCommerce product category.
When creating collection criteria, you can exclude or include a specific product category using its BigCommerce ID.
Confirm collection filters with Apply and click Create dynamic collection to save applied filters and use them in validation rules.
Name your collection and confirm with Save. The collection is ready to use in your validation rules.
You can read more about product collections in this guide.
Step 2: Add validation rules to your coupons/gift cards
When creating new coupons or gift cards, you can add the following product-specific rules.
- Discount selected: apply discount/gift card to items from a chosen product category.
- Order structure validation rules: require an item from a particular product category in the customer's cart.
When it comes to the Order structure validation rules, you can use product categories to define the required cart items, subtotals, and quantity. Go here to read more.
Coupons and Gift Cards
When your data are synced and campaigns are live, your customers can enter Voucherify coupons and gift cards when purchasing in your store.
Gift cards cover the application of a discount to shipping. When applying coupons, the discount doesn't cover the shipping fee.
When a customer applies a coupon or gift card at the checkout, Voucherify API validates the code and sends the response to the BigCommerce store.
The code is applied only if all rules and limits assigned to the code are met.
When the validation succeeds, the customer can confirm the order and redeem the code. Redemption is always preceded by a validation so any updates and changes that came after applying the code will be taken into account when redeeming the code. The order details are noted in both BigCommerce and Voucherify dashboards.
Gift vouchers from Voucherify are mapped to Gift Certificates in BigCommerce. So all codes which are created in Gift card campaigns don't work anymore as coupon codes in BigCommerce (they are recognized as BigCommerce Gift Certificates). The gift vouchers can be redeemed multiple times as long as there is a positive balance on the card.
You can create two types of gift cards in Voucherify:
- Standalone gift card – a single gift card code with a predefined balance, typically for multi-use.
- Bulk codes – one-off codes with the same balance grouped in a campaign. Each unique code can be assigned (published) to a specific customer who becomes the gift card owner as a result.
If you need help with creating gift cards, follow this detailed tutorial here.
Stacking gift cards
You can read the description of each discount type in this guide.
You can create two types of coupon campaigns in Voucherify:
- Standalone code – a single discount code with a predefined balance, typically for multi-use.
- Bulk codes – one-off codes with the same discount grouped in a campaign. Each unique code can be assigned (published) to a specific customer who becomes the code owner as a result.
The lock is valid as long as:
- The transaction is created in your BigCommerce account.
- Code is deleted from the basket manually by the end-user.
- Voucherify detects a cart error.