Referral program with ActiveCampaign
Before you start
This guide assumes you have already connected your Voucherify and ActiveCampaign accounts. If not, please follow this guide to add integration.
Learn how to set up a referral program in Voucherify that sends rewards to your customer profiles in ActiveCampaign automatically.
To begin with, you’ll need to run the Campaign manager with the Plus
and add custom fields in ActiveCampaign for Voucherify reward code and its details: You can define custom fields while opening a single customer profile in ActiveCampaign dashboard. After the custom fields are attached to one of your customers, you can use them every time a new customer enters your database (there is no need to define these fields for each new customer from scratch).
When the custom fields are ready, you can go back to Voucherify campaign manager and configure program details. Let's go through each stage of the manager step by step.
Firstly, add a new referral campaign
- program name
- code settings (pattern, redemption limit)
- auto-update campaign mode
The 3rd section 'Referee reward' consists of the following steps:
- Choose a conversion event (when a new customer is approved as a referred)
1. If you want to define 'referred' customer based on referral codes redemptions choose the first checkbox
2. You can also define 'referred' customers based on a custom event defined previously in your Project Settings, for example, 'customer_subscribed' event. As a result, if a new customer performs defined event he/she will be counted as a referred customer and the owner of the referral code used during the event gets new referred customer attached to his/her account.
To define custom events go to the Project Settings and add the respective configuration. Please note that your application must store an event describing a moment of conversion once you approve a new customer as a referred person. It triggers a rewarding mechanism.
After you mark respective checkbox and define the conversion event, you need to choose a type of your referral program.
- Choose between a single- or double-sided referral program
In the next step, you need to decide if the new customer (referee) and referrer will be rewarded - double-sided program, or if only the referrer gets the reward -single-sided program.
If you marked a checkbox with a single-sided referral program, you can go straight to the NEXT STEP.
- In case of double-sided referral program - define discount for the referee (new customer)
If you mark a checkbox with a double-sided referral program, you need to define a reward for new customers (referees). It can be a percent, amount or unit discount code. When ready, click on NEXT STEP.
1. Conversion event - referral code redemption
In the case of the reward schema based on referral codes redemptions, choose from:
- Reward every time referee redeems the referral code - every time referral code is used, the reward is triggered.
Remaining options, listed below, limit reward triggering to one per new customer. It means that referrer cannot get a reward two times if both redemptions come from the same "new" customer (referee).
- Only first time referee redeems code AND the referrer customer segment is [choose one of your existing segments].
This option enables you to limit referrers who can apply for a reward to one of your existing customer segments.
- Only first time referee redeems code AND the referrer customer segment is in NEW SEGMENT created below.
This option enables you to build a segment that defines rewarding criteria. Typically, it's a segment based on the number of referred customers. (Segment of referrers who get the reward can have multiple rules and limits built with available filters).
When the respective checkbox is set, click on NEXT STEP and define the reward for referrers. You can choose from:
- your existing campaigns (chosen campaign should be in auto-update mode!)
- creating a new campaign of rewards from scratch
2. Conversion event - custom event
If you count referred customers (referees) based on the performed event, defined in the 3rd section, you can choose from:
- Rewarding referrer every time the referee performs a specific action (custom conversion event).
- Defining a number of referees who need to perform a specific action to trigger a reward for the referrer.
Additionally, if you chose the 2nd checkbox and expand ADVANCED options, you can add more limits and rules that referrer needs to meet to get the reward.
For example, you can set that beside that 2 customers need to perform the chosen custom event with referrer's code, referrer has to have more than 2 orders made in your store so far to get the reward.
When ready, go to the NEXT STEP
Choose a channel to deliver rewards
Lastly, in this stage, you need to implement a channel via which you want to notify a referrer about the reward. Let's choose ActiveCampaign from Integrations to attach rewards to referrers' profiles.
It's time to map reward attributes to custom fields added at the beginning to customer profiles in ActiveCampaign. As a result, when a customer qualifies for a reward, custom fields in his/her profile will include reward and its details.
You don't have to remember added fields. When you click to map Voucherify field, the manager will show you the list of all your custom fields from ActiveCampaign. Just choose the matching one from the list
When the mapping is ready and action is defined, you can follow to the 6th stage or choose to ADD TIER (the 2nd level of your referral campaign). What are 'tiers' and why do you need them?
Each tier is a separate level in your referral program. If you want to have different rewards or/and different rewarding criteria then tiers are what you need. For example, tier 1 can reward each referrer who refers at least 1 customer with $5 gift card; tier 2 can reward each referrer who refers at least 3 customers with 30% discount.
There is no limit on a number of tiers, you can make multi-level referral programs with many rewards and custom rewarding schemas.
That's it! Your codes are ready for action, learn how to use Voucheirfy to share your referral codes and encourage more referrals.
Remember that each referral code needs to be published before new customers (referees) can use it. Publication means the process of assigning referral code to a particular customer (referrer). You can perform this action either through Distributions in the dashboard (for example via ActiveCampaign integration) or programmatically via API. You can learn more about publishing methods in this short guide.