USE CASE: Referral program in style of Uber
A double-sided referral program launched by Uber contributed to the global success of the company serving rides across 45 countries by now. In this short guide, you'll see how to launch a referral campaign like Uber using Voucherify.
Uber Riders Referral Program
Uber gives each of their registered riders unique referral link that they can share an unlimited number of times and invite new users to join Uber.
Referral code gives new users a free balance to spend on their first ride.
Each time referral code is used by a new customer (during sign up), the referrer gets a reward - free balance on their account to spend on the Uber rides.
Reasons for Uber referral success:
- Their program is double-sided so both referrers and new users get a good reason to at least try Uber.
- Rewards and incentives for new users are very attractive as this free balance is usually enough to get a free ride.
- On top of that, Uber made referring smooth and easy. Rules and benefits are clear for both sides.
Let's model such workflow using Voucherify and a referral campaign.
If you prefer to watch the video, click play and see how it works. You can also follow a step-by-step guide below the video.
Create a referral program:
To start with, you need to add an event that defines sign up to Voucherify dashboard. Go to the Event Schema in your Project Settings:
Note that your app or website needs to be already integrated with your Voucherify account. Integration enables Voucherify to track custom events performed by your visitors such as new sign-ups, etc.
After you define the event, open Campaign Manager and add a new referral program.
- program name
- code settings (pattern, redemption limit)
- auto-update campaign mode
The 3rd section 'Incentive workflow' lets you define program structure and add referral codes with free credits that new customers can use during their first ride.
- Choose a conversion event (when a new customer is approved as a referred) - in this program, a conversion event is a sign up made by a new customer with a referral code.
It means that if a new customer signs up, he/she will be counted as a referred customer.
Now, you need to choose a type of your referral program:
- Choose double-sided referral program
Go to the NEXT STEP and define incentive for the referee (new customer).
Referral code gives new customers free balance to spend on their first ride. It means that redemption of referral code (while signing up) results in adding free balance to a gift card attached automatically to a new customer. Here's how it works step by step:
- New customer gets a referral code from the already registered user.
- New customer signs up with referral code.
- Redemption invokes adding free balance to a new customer's account which is gathered on a predefined gift card.
- Added balance can be used by a new customer while paying for a ride.
Coming back to the manager, choose gift credits as a reward for a referee and add a value of referral code. In the picture, you can see that new users who redeem referral code will get 20 PLN loaded on their predefined gift card.
Predefined gift cards campaign
Every customer in Voucherify has a predefined gift card attached to their account. It's automatically added to each customer at the moment he/she enters your database and the initial value of a predefined gift card is always 0. Read more >>>
Below the Referee reward section, you can see Validation rules for referral code's redemption. Validation rules enable you to additionally restrict redemption of referral codes to one per customer. As a result, you can be sure that already registered users won't use the code.
To add a rule, click on CREATE and define its name (identifier for the future).
Choose Redemption per customer from Budget constraints and set it to one.
You can add more validation rules and limits to referral codes. If you'd like to learn more about available options, go here.
When referral codes are equipped with all necessary limits, confirm with SAVE and choose NEXT STEP.
Lastly, in this stage, you can implement channels via which you want to notify a referrer about a reward (new balance on their predefined gift card).
You can choose from:
- HTTP callout (add specific URL for notification)
- MailChimp or ActiveCampaign (Integrations)
- Email (the manager lets you design the message template)
- SMS (the manager lets you design the message template)
When the action is defined, click NEXT STEP.
Learn how to use Voucherify to generate referral links and encourage referrals like Uber.
Remember that each referral code needs to be published before new customers (referees) can use it. Publication means the process of assigning referral code to a particular customer (referrer). You can perform this action either through Distribution in the dashboard or programmatically via API. You can learn more about publish methods in this short guide.